In a historic milestone in relations between Israel and the United States, DHS announced the inclusion of Israel in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) on September 26, 2023.
This will allow Israeli citizens to travel to the United States for up to 90 days without needing to obtain a visa. Therefore, it significantly simplifies travel for tourism and commercial purposes. Our immigration lawyers in New Jersey can guide and inform those interested in traveling legally to the US.
Visa-Exempt Travel For Citizens Of Israel
On September 27, 2023, Israel was officially designated into the United States Visa Waiver Program. This allows its citizens to travel to the US without the need for some type of US visas for their stays for 90 days.
- This decision, made by the Secretary of Homeland Security in consultation with the Secretary of State, has significantly simplified travel procedures.
- Starting October 19, 2023, eligible Israeli citizens can apply for travel authorization online. All this through the Electronic Travel Authorization System (ESTA), a process that only takes up to 72 hours.
- Travelers are required to possess valid, biometrically enabled passports. In addition, round-trip or return ticket from the US.
Although this new regulation facilitates tourist and business trips, travelers could opt for a US visa, if they wish.
- Extend your stay beyond 90 days, or
- Change your status once in the United States.
To encourage the development of international relations, the US has made the decision to grant citizens of VWP countries certain privileges. For example, traveling to the United States without the need for a visa.
In return, these countries, including Israel, are expected to offer the same reciprocity. This implies that Israel is committed to allowing entry to its country to American citizens who travel to this country with a US passport.
This mutual commitment represents a significant step forward in facilitating international travel and promoting strong bilateral relations.