Wondering how much value a deck really adds to a house? In the blog we will see all possible scenarios regarding this matter.
Most home renovation projects can be overwhelming. Therefore, it is essential to have the advice of a professional in the field. Our New Jersey real estate attorney is an experienced expert in all types of real estate matters.
Table of Contents
How Much Value Does A Deck Add To A House In New Jersey In 2023?
In case you want to sell the house, the resale value of these decks would be:
- $12,464 for a wooden deck. This means that approximately 64.8% of your installation cost can be recovered.
- $15,315 for the composite deck. This means that approximately 62.1% of the installation cost can be recovered.
While adding a wood deck may be less expensive than adding a composite deck, these costs only reflect your initial costs. For example, a wooden deck requires a higher amount of maintenance than one made of composite materials.
- This means that money must be spent on staining the wood every 2-3 years. The cost of this is usually well over $700 per dye.
- Depending on the time between installation and resale of the property, maintenance costs can add up to thousands of dollars in total amount spent.
What Are The Benefits Of Installing A Deck In A House?
Installing a deck in a home can prove to be a very worthwhile investment as it can bring a sense of atmosphere to the community. Typically, these facilities are used for:
- Friendly meetings.
- Family events.
- Feeling of privacy and tranquility outdoors.
Similarly, these facilities also serve to expand the square footage of the property by creating a much more comfortable space for the activities to be carried out.
The National Association of Realtors® research group developed a quantification called the “Joy Factor.” This makes it possible to measure how much joy or satisfaction homeowners have by adding a home improvement.
- The scale of this measurement is from 1 to 10, where 10 is the highest and 1 is the lowest.
- Each year, this measurement averages the amount of satisfaction homeowners had.
- In the following link you can access the current measurement .
Below, we’ll explain in more detail about how much value a deck adds to a house, specifically a composite deck.
How Do Composite Decks Add Value To The Home?
- Expand the square meters. Depending on the size of the added deck, the extra space will make a huge difference when it comes to reselling the house.
- Increases curb appeal. In real estate, an outdoor space captures the attention of potential buyers. This happens because the house would stand out from other houses with wooden decks, which would make it more marketable.
- Less maintenance costs. Although the wooden deck has a cheaper installation than the composite deck, the maintenance cost in the wooden deck is higher.
- Increases security in the house. It is essential to have a safe deck for the family. Wooden decks are usually slippery when it rains or snows, so it can pose a serious danger to the inhabitants of the home.
Doing home renovations can be very costly. Although it is not as much as buying a house, it does involve an out-of-pocket expense. Whatever the reason, this often leads to the well-known homebuyer’s remorse.
Does Adding A Deck Really Add To The Square Footage Of A Home?
Many individuals consider an outdoor deck to be an additional bedroom to the property. While this is true, a deck also expands your outdoor space and makes a big difference to your deck’s resale value.
- In a report by the company HomeAdvisor, it indicated that adding a deck to a house can be a cost-effective solution to expanding the square footage of the property. For example:
- The average cost of a new 20 x 20 square foot room is typically between $22,403 and $80,987.
- Whereas, the cost of adding a deck of the same size is between $12,000 and $60,000.
- This means that adding a deck can be a more affordable solution to increase property value and square footage.
- Therefore, this installation allows you to expand the square footage of a house and at the same time, spend time outdoors with friends and family.
These investments can turn out to be very good for the properties. If you are interested in learning more about the types of homes, visit the post on townhouses vs. single-family homes.
Types Of Decks In A House
Deck types and styles depend on whether you have a large or small space. If you have a large space you should consider building a large deck. Among the types of decks that exist, we find the following styles:
- Multi level deck.
- Detached or island deck.
- Side-yard deck.
- Swimming pool deck.
- Wraparound deck.
- Attached deck.
To find a good deck that is perfect; that is, mixing both types and being inexpensive, you can consider building a Vault Deck or a Voyage Deck.
While this article is focused on explaining how much value a deck adds to a house, you may also be interested in learning about the different types of homes in New Jersey.
Decorations To Add On A Deck
Decorating a deck can add more value to it. Therefore, we will show you some options to consider if you want to achieve this result:
Accessories For A Deck
To achieve a perfect stage on a deck, you must add the indicated accessories to bring out its maximum splendor. Therefore, you should focus on:
- Cushions. While most deck furniture is made for excellent comfort, having extra padding comes in handy. Although cushions are often additional accessories, they are also functional.
- Planters. It is recommended to organize a selection of flowers, plants and grasses to decorate the deck. A natural choice of greenery and planters that vary in color can be used to provide a comfortable atmosphere.
- Umbrellas. The umbrellas provide crucial shade for all those who wish to stay on this site during the summer months. In addition, they can also help against rain.
The furniture for these facilities allows to add a unique and attractive style for all those who visit the place.
- Keeping furniture new and contemporary can please guests and prospective buyers alike.
- Planning to decorate the site with colorful furniture can be attractive to all who happen to be on the site.
- There are several types of outdoor deck furniture, which are intended to relax the occupant and his companions.
Creative Freedoms In One Deck
Homeowners can choose from a wide variety of looks for their decks. Therefore, you can adjust its expansion to your preferences at home. For example, you can choose on:
- The herringbone surface design: This pattern is compared to a zipper, as it is the intersection of 2 opposing diagonal patterns that meet in the center.
- Deck Inlay: This design not only allows for a surface pattern on the deck, but also allows for an image that breaks up the monotony, as it can be used to combine various angles and colors.
- Curved type: The aesthetics offered by this design breaks with most of the usual appearances. Therefore, it represents a unique design for the home.
- Ground-level or elevated deck: While having a ground-level deck allows for an inviting space for gatherings, a raised deck can provide more space to separate a dining room and/or fireplace.
- Octagon or hexagon perimeter: If a curved platform or rectangular design is not desired, it is possible to design a hexagonal perimeter (can be 8 or 6 angles). However, these unusual shapes are more expensive.
Railings For A Deck
Railings or handrails for a deck do not necessarily have to be boring. Next, we will leave you some ideas in which you can innovate your site:
- Baroque balusters: This is a European design and is sure to set your deck apart from most in the neighborhood.
- Glass balusters: The deck railing can be supported through this baluster, allowing for a larger view with no obstructions in the line of sight.
- Aerial railing: These railings extend from the upper level of the deck to the lower level, encompassing a fireplace or seating area.
- Curved railing: Provides a very different aesthetic to the traditional design of square railings.
- Cocktail railing: It has a wider and flatter surface. This design allows drinks, food and other items to rest on top of them without falling out.
Are Building Codes Important For A Deck?
The construction codes for a deck are very important, since they fulfill some functions:
- They ensure that builders or professionals maintain the integrity of their work.
- Building inspectors judge the level of quality of a builder’s work through International Residential Code (IRC) standards.
- IRC provides specific measures that are required for each construction project.
- If a builder has not followed these guidelines, the building inspector will not allow the builder to finish the project until all problems have been resolved.
- IRC also guarantees security. Therefore, the International Code Council (ICC) through a code development process, updates them every three years.
Standards And Codes For A Deck
Having a deck built to code makes your home more likely to sell. Also, this eliminates potential problems in the future.
- If the modifications were made without a permit or the code was not followed, the addition may need to be demolished.
- In some cases, you must pay for new modifications that do comply with the code.
In case the standards established by the building codes are not followed, the following legal procedures could be applied:
- Delivery of a notice of infringement. This notice will be in writing to the property owner, the owner’s agent, or the individual performing the work.
- Detention by law. In case the notice is not complied with, the project can be stopped by law.
- Consideration by the jurisdiction. The project can be unmounted, removed or made safe (according to what is established in the code). This is determined by the local jurisdiction.
If you are under this scenario, do not hesitate to contact us so that we can provide you with efficient legal advice on the matter.
Tips To Ensure A Deck Increases Property Value
Although a deck increases the value of a house, the return on investment (ROI) depends on certain key factors. For example:
Although there is little difference in ROI between a composite deck and a wood deck, this gap decreases when maintenance cost over time is considered.
- Wood decks should be sealed frequently to prevent rotting or cracking. Also, the average wood tends to deteriorate around 8 years.
- If you pour water on the wood boards and no drips form, you most likely need to apply a new coat of sealer.
If you live somewhere warm, homebuyers are likely to want a space to eat outside or lounge by the pool. Even in the coldest places, a deck can provide a larger area for entertaining with friends and family in the spring, summer or early fall.
Similarly, in colder areas you should consider using composite decks as they will last much longer than wood.
Sometimes a deck is valuable for the quality of life it adds to the homeowner, along with their financial gains. However, if you are thinking of selling the house in the near future, you may not want to invest in this.
But if you plan to live in this house for many years, then it would be worth investing in a deck to offer many more comforts and get the most out of it.
Do It On Your Own
One of the ways to reduce the cost of a deck is to do it yourself. Doing a job yourself can save significant labor costs, but you need to make sure you follow all required permits and codes.
Is It Worth Investing In A Deck?
The research group of the National Association of Realtors indicates that millennials are the most likely to build a deck in their homes.
- The recent pandemic, social distancing, and having to spend a lot of time at home prompted homeowners to upgrade their home comforts. This is because they required more entertainment.
- Homeowners who want to build a deck can get a higher property value. However, the amount of ROI can vary depending on the location, the type of deck, and the company that builds it.
- Typically, the average ROI is usually around 75%. Therefore, it makes for an excellent return for the additional space to be built.
It should be noted that decks can lose their value over time. Therefore, to know the exact value of the house with a deck it is advisable to consult with an expert in this type of matter. Our attorney Carolina T. Curbelo specializes in all real estate matters in New Jersey.
New Jersey Real Estate Experts
A deck can become an element that every owner wants to have in their home. Although these installations improve the value of the property in the event that they want to resell it, it is not easy for owners to know how much value will be gained in the end.
- Due to this circumstance and others, it is always important to have the help of a professional who determines the current value of the property or who provides an estimate of its cost.
- We hope that in this post on how much value a deck adds to a house, you have cleared your doubts regarding this installation in the Garden State.
If you live in New Jersey, and neeed info on the value of a deck in your house, call us today, send us an email or schedule an appointment with our office in Ridgewood, New Jersey. Our attorney has over 10 years of experience dealing with all of these elements of real estate.