Many aliens in the United States want to know how much do services of an immigration lawyer cost, as this can allow them to prepare in advance.
Although for some immigrants paying for a lawyer may seem expensive at first, it can mean the difference between a successful case and a lost one. For this reason, our immigration lawyers in New Jersey offer competitive prices for all their clients.
How Much Does An Immigration Lawyer Cost In New Jersey In 2023
New Jersey immigration attorneys generally charge an hourly rate, the price of which will vary depending on certain factors. These fees usually include immigration consultations and court proceedings, such as deportation proceedings.
- The reason why it is difficult to predict the total cost of an immigration lawyer, is that you must determine the time that they would have when it comes to litigation in court.
- Also, in some cases, immigration attorneys may offer fixed fees. However, this is usually only seen when the cases are clearly defined, that is, they are easy to predict during processing.
- The most common cases where lawyers can offer fixed fees are the following:
- US family-based immigration.
- Asylum process in the United States.
- Change of status.
- Application for a work visa. For example, the H-1B visa or H-2B visa.
- Application for some type of specific American visa.
- Additionally, in most cases, all fees offered by attorneys are non-refundable. This is because the fees paid to a lawyer are for preparing and submitting the application.
To find out the rates for the services of our attorney Carolina T. Curbelo, do not hesitate to contact our firm.
Pro Bono Or Low Cost Services
There are a few options for individuals with low or no income. For example, some licensed attorneys volunteer their time for immigrants who cannot afford their legal services.
This is known as “pro bono attorneys.” There are certain authorized associations in the United States where you can find these types of lawyers. You can find certain authorized associations on the Department of Justice (DOJ) website.
Now, if you found us because you were looking for an answer to “how much does an immigration lawyer cost”, you should know that our firm also has an experiencied New Jersey LGBTQ+ immigration lawyer. We help the most vulnerable groups with their immigration procedures and processes.
Factors That Determine The Price Of An Immigration Lawyer In The United States
There are several reasons why immigration attorneys may charge high legal fees for their services. These are:
- Complexity: Immigration law is a complex area that requires specialized knowledge and experience. As a result, attorneys may charge higher fees reflecting the time and experience required to navigate these processes.
- Demand: Immigration attorneys can be in high demand, especially when immigration policy changes or there is a high volume of immigration cases. Therefore, the higher the demand, the higher the cost.
- Risk: Immigration cases can be risky for attorneys, as the outcome can have significant consequences for their clients. If so, this risk will be reflected in the attorneys’ fees.
- Costs: Lawyers can incur high costs if they are required to prepare and file certain immigration documents. Also, the price increases if they must also represent their clients in court.
In general, it is important to carefully consider the cost of hiring an immigration attorney and compare their prices to find the best fit. Some attorneys, like our attorney, offer competitive rates for their services.
It should also be noted that the cost of legal services can vary widely depending on the complexity of the case, the level of experience, and the knowledge of the attorney.
How Much Does It Cost To Get A Green Card With A Lawyer?
The fees of the immigration lawyers to obtain the Green Card vary according to the way in which it can be obtained. For example, either a Green Card based on marriage or by family petition.
On our blog, you can find a wide variety of posts where we thoroughly explain these matters. You can read related content in the following blogs.
Green Card based on marriage:
- K-1 fiancé(e) visa.
- Marriage-based Green Card interview questions.
- Can an undocumented immigrant get married in the US.
Green Card by petition for alien relative:
- US citizen petition for parents.
- How do I bring my foreign spouse to the US.
- Can a US citizen sponsor a sibling.
- How to bring my son to US.
It should be taken into consideration that some petitions can become more expensive if there are crimes or immigration violations. For more information, visit “Can you get a Green Card with a misdemeanor“.
As of the date of the article, the possibility of increasing the costs of some immigration procedures is being evaluated. One of them is the Green Card, which would have an increase of almost $1,000. This could increase the cost of filing for some attorneys.
Is The Cost Of The Services Of An Immigration Lawyer Worth It?
As we have previously commented, immigration law is complex and requires a high level of knowledge in this matter to give a positive result.
Having the help of an immigration lawyer during these processes could be the difference in obtaining immigration relief. Some of the reasons why hiring an immigration attorney is recommended include but are not limited to:
- Increase the probability of success: It is usually almost impossible to win a removal case without the help of an immigration attorney. In fact, it is average that around 5% win an immigration case without the help of a lawyer, while 95% of the time, it is won thanks to one.
- Subject matter expertise: Immigration law tends to be confusing for those unfamiliar with these statutes, either because they do not have years of experience or knowledge of the subject matter. An immigration attorney is well-versed with these scenarios.
- Compliance with deadlines: Immigration processes require that deadlines be met within the stipulated time. Therefore, an immigration attorney will ensure that their client always adheres to these designated deadlines.
Frequent Causes To Use The Services Of An Immigration Lawyer
Immigration lawyers have an important role, since they can help their clients in critical situations. In general, some common reasons in which the services of an immigration lawyer should be used are:
Certain crimes can lead to the deportation of a non-citizen. As a result, this is a reality faced by permanent residents and US visa holders. This applies regardless of the amount of time they have lived in the US.
Additionally, there may be serious future immigration consequences. Some examples of crimes include, but are not limited to:
- Drug traffic.
- Crimes with firearms.
- Domestic violence crimes.
- Controlled substance offences.
Sometimes immigration laws often intersect with criminal laws. When this occurs, it is known as “Crimmigration“. On our site, we have a blog where we explain this scenario in detail.
Committing violations of immigration laws requires the legal advice and representation of an immigration attorney. Some of the examples of a violation of immigration laws include:
- Entry into the country without inspection.
- Visa expiration.
- Misrepresentation in immigration applications.
- Sham marriage.
Other Complex Scenarios
Often, aliens have a complex immigration scenario. An example is a foreign diplomat seeking adjustment of status in the United States.
There have also been cases in which an applicant for naturalization has a break in the requirement of continuous residence. These situations are best handled by an experienced immigration attorney.
A Renowned Law Firm In New Jersey
The Curbelo Law Firm has a team of professionals ready to help you. Our lawyer Carolina has more than 10 years of experience and knowledge in these matters, so we can help you in any immigration process.
- Our firm is proud to be able to help multiple immigrant families to establish themselves in the US legally and fulfill their dreams in this country.
- Now that we have answered the question about how much does an immigration lawyer cost, it is time for you to contact us to learn about our service.
Call us today so we can start analyzing your situation. Time is of the essence in many immigration cases.
You can also contact us via E-mail or by scheduling an appointment at our office, located in Ridgewood, New Jersey.